Reader comments about Remembrance Day

Send us your thoughts, comments and ideas about Remembrance Day in Canada. What should and should't be done on this day? How best to pay respect to current and past members of the armed forces?

Recent comments about Remembrance Day
Posted by Dad:

I asked my 8 year old: would you learn anything about remembrance day if you stayed at home or would you probably just watch movies and play with your little brother? Her answer was: "No, I would just play and watch movies - at school at least I don't forget to talk about why we should try and not go to war anymore; well I can't forget because the teachers tell us all sorts of things and we have to listen."

Posted by afshin rabbani:

It's not fair, The Government employees has a good wage and safe job they are not work but other employees must work . If remember day is for respect to Canadian soldier has to be for all not a part of people .

Posted by Cheryl :

Yes my father and my grandfather both fought as Canadians in ww1 and ww2. It used to be a stat. And we used to have honor for those fought in the war. Now we work and shop. Stores should be closed and it should be aff with pay. I would like to teach my children and theirs to honor those who were forced to fight

Posted by Tina Wall:

I believe remembrance day should be a statuatory holiday because government businesses are closed. The people that died in the war for our freedom should be remembered. when people have to go to work, that 11th hour gets missed by millions of people because they are working. They deserve to be remembered, do they not?

Posted by Victoria Tremblay:

No. it should not be a stat holiday because then it diminishes the value we should place on it and just becomes another shopping day, or just loafing around. The school children should be in school learning about the true meaning of this day. Not at home playing video games.

Posted by Carole-Anne Armstrong:

Of all of the stat holidays, Remembrance day is the most meaningful because without knowledge of our past, we are in danger of repeating it. This is the lesson that history has to teach us. We should always honour those that risked their lives for our country, those that gave the ultimate sacrifice, and they came from EVERY province in Canada. War is simply not an option and without honouring and remembering those that sacrificed to maintain our freedom, we could be in jeopardy of losing it. Peace should never be taken for granted. We need to protect it and work hard for it, always. There are other stat holidays far less important (like Family Day for example, or even the Civic holiday in Aug). We should be unified as a country on this subject.

Posted by Nels Jacobson :

I totally believe that Remembrance Day should be a stat and I further believe we are not treating our vets properly. More resources and money should be used to let them live in dignity. It is an embarrassment of how Canadians treat our Vets. Case in point not enough money for Service Dogs for Vets suffering from ptst It is shameful. Not proud to be a Canadian.

Posted by J. Brewer:

I agee with the people that think that Armistice Day should be remembered in ALL provinces and territories in the Dominion of Canada.

Posted by Amelia:

Then why are some of us working and government workers not? Defeats all the arguments.

Posted by Therry Lauzon:

We most definitely need to make this a Stat holiday. The fact that we have choices on this day to attend a ceremony or spend time with family or catch up on life, represents all that was fought for...our freedom to do so. This is becoming an unimportant day and we need to fight to change this. We are taking our fallen soldiers and all the war casualties for granted in our haste to make money. It always comes down to money doesn't it?

Posted by John:

Remembrance Day should be observed right across Canada as a Statutory holiday. The war was fought by veterans from right across Canada and not just certain provinces!

Posted by Paul B:

My father was in the war my brother died in a war two of my uncles were in the war I cannot understand people who say it is a waste of time to celebrate that we have the freedom we have because of all of these people who were fighting for what we have now. Get your heads out of your backsides and think about what they have done for us so that we have the freedoms we have now.

Posted by Chris:

Remembrance Day should absolutely be a statutory holiday in all Canadian provinces. One day to reflect on what our war dead and wounded did for our freedom is the least we can do. I find it disrespectful that hundreds of people are waiting at the front doors of retail stores for 1:00. Iím sure you will all survive an extra day without the malls!

Posted by Denise Beauchamp:

Those men gave their lives for our freedom . They do not get them back. Their families do not get to say good bye. Many of them tourtured. Many of them died in stench in battlefields on foreign soil...agonizing deaths. I do not care how much time how many decades centuries go by ...soliders should never ever be forgotten and whatever measures necessary that need to be so that people do not forgot... I believe all stores should be closed all services but hospitals and there should be zero cars allowed on the roads except tanks and military vehicles. There has never been a war fought on Canadian soil ...canadians take for granted the peace that we have known our whole lives....this may not always be so....we need to be grateful and we need to remember and we need to learn from our mistakes. History tends to repeat itself. Humans need to pay attention observe learn and change and maybe one day there will be no more wars..but even then it won't hurt anyone to learn to respect and to remember.

Posted by margaret findlay:

Here in New Brunswick it is a statutory holiday. I live in Saint John and we have a huge service at our local hockey arena. It seat over 6,000 and there is seldom too many empty seats. People of all ages from babies to octogenarians and older attend every year. We respect our veterans. Our veterans have their own march past after all others and they do it each year to standing ovation.

Posted by Elaine Casselman:

Why should government and other corporations be off in Ontario on Remembrance Day but retail and restaurants stay open? Do you not realize our parents, grandparents and great grandparents also fought in the wars to give us a free country? Ontario is greedy for profit, never mind us low life who work in retail or service industry!

Posted by Mussie:

Remembrance day is for remembering those who sacrificed themselves for the sake of peace, stability ,protection and safty of the country and the people. They did not fight for specified group or province.therefore I suggest it should be concidered the same as canada day because Canada they passed for this country. Remembrance day is actually first of all the stat holidays and the base for freedom.

Posted by Lorinda C.:

I think Remembrance Day should NOT be a statutory holiday, as I am not convinced that most people would use the day to seriously remember the value of Armed Forces or the sacrifices that people have made. I suspect that with a day off, many people would be inclined to sleep in, take care of errands & otherwise innocently or carelessly ignore the purpose of the day. I find that there are more structured opportunities in schools and workplaces to have Remembrance Day ceremonies, watch the coverage, or have peace-building exercises. Perhaps it could be legislated that workplaces & schools be required to have a moment of silence at 11am with some kind of message (maybe that is already legislated?) AND be required to give employees the option of watching remembrance day coverage - either live at 11am or at another point in their shift (e.g. for workers in health care or emergency services or safety sensitive positions) if it is important to the conscience of the employee.

Posted by Mike Connolly :

It never made any sense to me why November 11th has never been a national holiday, or more like a national day of mourning. As I thought a very very long time ago, and as I still think today. It is something that is becoming just a passing thought for a lot of Canadians at this stage in the game. As I have read and heard in the media from veterans themselves, that comment such as, why should we bother with it it was so long ago. Even trying to get the day off work to go to a cenotaph is almost impossible. Some companies no longer take that one minute of Silence anymore. Children are in school on that day, and I wonder are they really getting the point that we are trying to teach them while in school. As opposed to going and seeing for themselves, and hearing the veterans. There are just so many reasons I can think of that this day should be a national statutory holiday. I'm not sure of the facts, but my guess would be the numbers are dwindling at cenotaphs around the nation. Not to mention the veterans themselves.

Posted by Cameron :

I believe Remeberance Day should be a statutory holiday. While I agree students should not get the day off school - I do appreciate the idea that students should attend their Remeberance Day ceremonies at their school - I believe working adults should have a holiday so they may attend ceremonies as well. As it stands, I will unfortunately not be able to attend any ceremonies as I will be working, which upsets me (especially since this year marks the 100th anniversary of the end of the Great War).

Posted by Bill S:

"If an organized observance was held at schools and workplaces people would be much more likely to spend time participating and keeping the importance of Remembrance Day top of mind, won't they?" Answer: NO. They will be more concerned about the order that has to be shipped, or deadline that has to be met, or the customer complaining on line 1. New comers to Canada, will ask "Why is this a stat day?" People will research and google to find out. It is not a celebration, but a commemoration of the ones that gave the ultimate sacrifice. It has since been expanded to include those that served and in doing so I think it loses its meaning.

Posted by AL:

TOTTALLY AGREE --- "we should spend more time preventing future atrocities and less time looking back: Let's use Remembrance Day as a reminder to all of us that for the remaining 364 days we need to focus our discussion and actions to ensure that future generations won't have to fight in wars at all."

Posted by Jinny Mari:

would it be celebrated on a monday? not on a sunday right? for a long weekend

Posted by James:

I am actually shocked that it is not a Stat Holiday in all Provinces and Territories. We have Family Day. Why would that be preferred over something as important as Remembrance Day?

Posted by Sandra:

Our veterans have sacrificed so much to ensure our freedom. They are our heroes. Remembrance Day should be a statutory holiday. It should also be observed in schools and with other ceremonies. I agree with the previous comment. If we forget the atrocities of the past, then history is bound to repeat itself.

Posted by Uniac:

I find it rather disrectful that these 4 provinces arenít on board. Soldiers both men and women of all races and orients have fought, and died or been injured for the sake of our future and our way of life. I donít care if people get paid extra to work the day, but every citizen should be entitled to have the day off to mourn and show respect for those fallen.

Posted by Ken House:

It should be a National Holiday everywhere in Canada. The government writes off billions of bad debt loans to major corporations, yet can't seem to make it a priority to look after veterans. I am the son of a deceased veteran of WW2, and am disgusted on how today's veterans are treated. At least give the Nation a day to allow all families to spend time and a day of reflection and remembrance of the sacrifices made by all the brave men and women of today, and from the past.

Posted by Antoinette pepin:

Every year, in honour of those who have ensured my freedom by fighting in the past, and to honour my father, an armed forces career man, I get up and watch every celebratory thing I can find on TV and give silent thanks for my status as a proud and free Canadian. My work place makes us come to work if Remembrance Day falls on the weekend and doesn't even observe a minute of silence to honour our brave ancestors. I think that's reprehensible. A minute is all it took to kill one of our soldiers; you'd think we could give up a single minute of our time to remember that.

Posted by Ashley:

I believe that it should be. Not for the sake of having a day off, but because working on a day set aside to remember those who fought for our freedoms tends to work against it. You get busy, you don't think about what the importance of the day is. The people who defended our freedoms deserve to be remembered for everything they have done for us, not have their memory set aside while we do something we are most likely going to do the next day! Lest we forget!

Posted by Karin:

Yes it should be a National Holiday. No explanation required. If we don't take the time to remember those who have fought along with those who are still fighting for us we will repeat the mistakes over and over again.

Posted by Dan:

1000000%%% yes! I should be a stat holiday! Why is this not done yet!

Posted by Sher Khan:

It is an absolute shame that we do not remember and honor those who fought for Canada and died for Canada. We would not be where we are today if not for those brave men and women!! I am discussed by the lack of respect Canada is not showing for these brave people!! It should be a statutory holiday in every province, territory in the entire country!!! Shame on all of us!!

Posted by Ron:

Remembrance Day should be a stat holiday for Canada province wide. Two world wars and millions dead along with thousands of brave Canadian soldiers mostly in their teens or twenties !! Lest we forget !!

Posted by GM:

Yes, we need a holiday on the Rememberance Day. I cannot afford a vacation day on that day. I really would like to attend events that take place in Toronto/Ottawa.

Posted by Craig Williams :

Dear fellow Canadians, My lineage in Canada dates back to the 1850's. As a born & raised humble Canadian, I am of the opinion that Armistice Day should have been declared a national holiday back in 1918. If everyone single person in this country was made aware of the enormous contributions, victories and sacrifices Canadian men and women made over the course of the First World War,I am certain November 11th would be a more important holiday than Christmas. It is truly embarrassing, as a Canadian, that this date isn't being recognised in the manner it so rightfully deserves. The Maple Leaf Forever. Respectfully, Mr.C.W. Williams

Posted by John Kendall:

It makes no sense to me that Remembrance Day is not a stat holiday in all provinces. I don't understand how businesses are allowed to operate on a day that should be spent paying respect to those who served and still serve this country with their lives. I think it is ignorant and disrespectful of politicians and the business community as a whole. Also, while I understand that the Royal Canadian Legions want children in the school system to understand and attend events commemorating Remembrance Day. Most Canadian families recognize what it means to observe this day with respect and admiration for those who have dedicated their lives to this great country. I believe if it was a stat holiday you would actually have more people attend public events held throughout the country. Where I live they hold a large event at the local arena and it has an amazing turnout with locals bringing their entire families to pay their respects.

Posted by Viren lad:

Posted by sandibird:

Posted by Cathy Davidson:

Remembrance Day needs to be a Stat holiday in Ontario. It is a day to honour those who fought for our freedom. My grandfather was one of them. It makes no sense to be a stat holiday in some provinces and not others.

Posted by BCardenas:

Yes, Remembrance Day must be made a national statutory holiday. We must honor the men and women who gave up their lives to give us our freedom and for those who continue to do so. But we must also truly honor them by attending the events that take place in various parts of our great nation and to actually interact with veterans and active soldiers to say the two words that mean the world to them - "Thank You".

Posted by Guy Le Ny:

I am outraged that Remembrance Day in Ontario is not a stat holiday! I lived in BC and I love that they make this important day for or fighters who fought for our country. A lot of people march on that day and assist in ceremonies. On a personal level my grand dad was involved in the war, therefore I am able to think of him. Also,it was great to be able to relax from this fast paste environment we are living in and remember our ancestors who helped us to be who we are today.Canada is not a perfect country but I am proud to be Canadian. It would be great to stand up as country together and people that don't like it; do something pleasant with your families. We get so little of it. I personally like to go to the cemetery and walk in the woods, disconnect from my every day life and be thankful for the country I am living in and what have today; freedom!!! When you work on Remembrance Day and go with your busy life, you forget, you come home after work, your tired! It's not the same. My approach to this is more from the heart and not so much about politics. Is it not the whole point!!!! Thank you!

Posted by Jen:

Absolutely Remembrance Day should be a Stat holiday. It isn't right that people are forced to take a vacation day to participate in Remembrance day Services!

Posted by Andrew Knoll:

Remembrance Day should always be a Stat Holiday. Veterans and current serving members should be able to honour this day without taking time off work. We do it not for ourselves, but for those that have gone before us giving their all so that we may be here and now. I will be in uniform on November 11 and remembering them. Get out of your house and attend a Remembrance Day ceremony to show that you are truly thankful.

Posted by DAVE:

we used to have no Sunday shopping.now all the stores are open. 7 days a week. Soon all the stat holidays will be open. New years first. July 1 then May 24. I will take time but it will happen. Border towns are open because of "tourist" zones. What a lame excuse. All the new multicultural holidays will slowly creep in. Pick a day one day. Canada. November 11, Shut EVERYTHING down. a memorable day off..REMEMBER.

Posted by Marnie:

Absolutely! Remembrance Day should be a stat. holiday. I would love the opportunity to be able to every year, attend a service to remember and show my appreciation for those who made sacrifices. At work, we do not truly acknowledge this day - we might take a minute of silence but that is about it. As far as those who would just use the day for other purposes, unfortunately, we cannot control what choices people make but remember - pretty much everyone gets 'Christmas' and 'Boxing Day' off and we know, without a doubt, not everyone make use of these days as intended.

Posted by Connie:

Yes we must continue to remember the sacrifices of those who have served our country. It's not about the weather being nicer in a different month, it's about paying tribute and remembering what did and can happen.

Posted by Eleanor Fernandes:

Yes, most fervently, Remembrance Day must be a National Holiday in all provinces of Canada. Those veterans made the ultimate sacrifice and their families suffered too. None of the current immigrants have had any hardships in comparison. So out of respect and gratitude, I certainly feel that Remembrance Day should be a National holid

Posted by Jake McMorran:

I believe that rememberance day should be a stat holiday. I know many families that have had grandparents, as well as even mothers and fathers to children today in the army. Not everyone makes it back. The troops do a lot to not only keep this country safe, but also to fight for rights of people across the globe. We have labour day to commemorate the day to day employee, rememberance day should be as well. Troops to just as much if not more than the average employee and should be comemerated by turning it into a stat holiday

Posted by Kendra Blues:

It should be a statutory day to pay our respects and gratitude to those who have served in the past, present and future. Many paid the absolute highest price with their lives.

Posted by Tyler Morin:

It should be a holiday. This is one of the most important dates in all of Canada in remembering our heritage and how many people were lost. Its a shame that it isn't a holiday. We need to show that we appreciate our armed forces and veterans.

Read featured posts