Reader comments about Remembrance Day

Send us your thoughts, comments and ideas about Remembrance Day in Canada. What should and should't be done on this day? How best to pay respect to current and past members of the armed forces?

Recent comments about Remembrance Day
Posted by Scott Austin Smith:

I think it's disgraceful that any Canadian would disagree that our veterans deserve to be honored. They willingly risked their lives to protect our freedom. They are all heroes.

Posted by Logan:

What is wrong with this province of Ontario!? I think indeed it should be a status holiday in Ontario. As a matter a fact it should be across the country. This is an important time in the Canadian history and I think adults and children should assist and watch the remembrance ceremony. It would be a great experience for everyone. Also doing something positive for the good of the province like planting trees as an example... Appreciating time together as a family,because if it was not for our soldier who fought for our country who knows what would of happen. If there is only 4 provinces that are not considering Remembrance a Holiday shame on them. At least province like BC as my respect for making this such a big event unlike Ontario! Change this absurdity in Ontario please!

Posted by Nicky:

I believe Remembrance Day should be a statutory holiday. However I believe every household should be required to pay a small fee (Ke. $3) for a poppy o some form of regarding and appreciating the work of our soldiers. Hopefully this act will also instigate children to learn about this day. I think children, who are too young to understand war, are no more likely to understand the importance of Remembrance Day than children sitting at home possibly being taught more about it from family. But I found it learned more about war and appreciating our soliders from family more than I ever did sitting in a long assembly at school.

Posted by Adnan:

It should be a STAT holiday in every province including Ontario, so we can learn and teach our future generations about the soldiers that sacrificed their lives for our freedom.

Posted by Nav:

Rememberance Day should be a day to reflect on the history of the world. We should remeber those individuals who have lost their lives. The sadness of the loss of lives should resonate in our solidarity to demand peace for all of mankind. Please recognize the importance of this day for all of Canada.

Posted by Carlos:

This day represents the many men and women that fought or are ready to fight for us and it should be represented with same respect as everything else, this day should be observed in all Canada.

Posted by Karen :

Remembrance Day should be a statutory day but the stores should actually be closed like they were years ago. You could only buy bread, milk, eggs, etc and gas at the local convenience/gas station.

Posted by LIVIU ZAHARIA:

I couldn't avoid to smile (to say it nicely) reading that Remembrance Day should nod be statutory holiday because people will eat, drink and watch TV instead of thinking at it. Do they think that when I am at work, dealing with customers, having to fix their problems, do I have time to think at this holiday? For sure, NO! At home, eating, drinking and watching TV is much more likely to see and listen to information about this. At work, no way!

Posted by Wilson Prathama:

I truly believe we don't put much importance to Remembrance Day as we should. Just like how we celebrate Christmas with all the festivities, we should also do so with Remembrance Day all throughout Canada

Posted by Lynn :

All of Canada should be observing Rememberance Day as a stat holiday. We should never forget that we are still here because of their sacrifice.

Posted by Sean Brace:

It is very sad our country does not recognize remembrance day with the same importance as other days marked having a statutory holiday.

Posted by Teresa:

Absolutely Remembrance Day should be a Statutory Holiday!! Already the younger generation is out of touch with the number of people lost world wide in these last two world wars, and that is largely without nuclear weapons. A third world war would devastate this planet and most probably all of mankind! We all need a huge "time out" to remember the past and to pay our respects to those who lost their lives in order to give us an opportunity to have a free and hope filled future.

Posted by Jaqui:

Remembrance Day, as per the wishes of the word war 1 veterans in their own decision prior to it's first celebration: We fought for our way of life, the best way to remember the sacrifice of our fallen is to have a normal work day. I have nothing but contempt for anyone who promotes it as a holiday directly counter to the wishes of the veterans it honours.

Posted by Alex:

I believe it should be a stat. Too many of the “ceremonies” I saw growing up in school were just disrespectful. Often the soldiers were vilified rather than celebrated. The school should educate students regarding the significance of the day, but the day itself should be a stat.

Posted by Madhvee:

All of us respect this day and our special respect go to our soldiers. To make it more special it should be commemorated as a national holiday throughout Canada which also show our Canadian values and kindness

Posted by Dana:

Remembrance day should be a Statutory Holiday all across Canada. It doesn't make any sense that there is a Statutory Holiday in Ontario called Family Day. It's pretty sad when you have to appoint one day a year as a family day. Remembrance Day has been in observance for years. It's to honour the veterans and the people who fought for our Country. It's a shame that we only have one minute of silence when the other provinces do so much more, especially since the capital of Canada resides in this province.

Posted by Kelly:

Remembrance Day should be a statutory holiday for all provinces! Close stores so that people can’t go shopping. Really, asking an 8 year old if they would “just sit at home and watch movies and play with your little brother?” Maybe the question should have been from the 8 year old to the parent “ Would you take me and my little brother to a Remembrance Ceremony and teach us about honouring Canada’s fallen heroes? Since I am 8 years old and can’t get to one on my own”. Also, they are now thinking of once again making it a statutory holiday after surveying the school ceremonies and find them extremely lacking. Maybe people should think of it like they do with Family day. Spend the time with your family, attend a ceremony together and talk about the significance of remembering!

Posted by Deb L:

I live in BC, so I’m lucky I am able to attended services at the cenotaph every year. In 2017, we went to Ottawa for the services at the Parliament then to the War Museum, an incredible trip. To say young people don’t appreciate, in my opinion, is not true. My son read each and every panel at the museum over two days. It is just how people are raised and what is important not to forget, even when we are far removed from the wars.

Posted by Guy:

Remembrance day should be a stat holiday in Ontario. In fact in should be a all over Canada just like many other countries. Children's could learned the day before at school, and assist the memorial on the actual day. Of course there will be some that may travel or use it as another day off. It's not such a big deal in this day and age we are living in. Does not mean that there's a lot us who would assist at the ceremony and take time to reflect and learning. To me the real experience is much better in real live then sitting down at your desk at school and learning about it without assisting in a real setting. Look at the other provinces that is a holiday, I think it's a success. I lived in BC before and it was nice to know that people cared. Here in Ontario it's a different vibe and more conservative and it's as to change.

Posted by Lina Masci:

Rememberance Day is observed by all Canadians, unfortunately only the Federal level are privileged to honour the Canadian soldiers who fought for Canada and died for all Canadians from all provinces. Ottawa is Ontario. The Federal gov't is Canada! Many Canadian soldiers include Ontario as their birthplace. Ottawa the Federal gov't, excludes Ontario as stat holiday but welcomes recruitment from all provinces, including Ontario. The dead and departed Canadian War Heros deserve all of Canada's respect and observance. One day in November will never equal 100,000 Canadian Soldiers who died for you. Rememberance Day should be for ALL of Canada.

Posted by Mike Almasi:

I am a Canadian Citizen living in Canada for over 25 years. I lived in U.S. before as I remember Veteran's day. I was an Air Force Officer back home. I think Armed Forces sacrifice their lives for our freedom & democracy. Thant's why their sacrifices should be appreciated by a stat holiday. I am lucky I was born on November 11 and ironically I was in the Air Force for many years.

Posted by Laura starcevic:

I attend services to honour or veterans sadly only when they are held on weekends. I would love to attend them all the time.

Posted by Rezleigh JV.:

I am a Canadian. I've been in Canada for 19+ years. I have always payed my respect to everyone in Armed Forces. Those who have sacrificed their lives and those who continue to sacrifice their lives for our freedom of life. I speak to my kids about Canadian Solders and reflect on stories from the past. I never forget my Poppy. When I get my opportunity to speak to a Veteran or solder I really enjoy it and make sure they know as a Canadian how thankful I am to their service. We need to give more respect to them. We should never forget what they have done. Never ever Forget. As Canadians we have a responsibility to keep them alive. We need to take responsibility to teach our own kids, go for a memorial service even for a short period of time. It's our responsibility. Some Canadians talk about freedom of living, freedom of speech, freedom of travel, how great it's to be a Canadian but forget how they came about it. I believe our Veterans and Solders deserve more respect. Giving a day for them, for their memory, for their sacrifice shouldn't be a burden for us, when they give their lives 365 for us.

Posted by Holly Gehue:

With all due respect, Remembrance Day should be a Stat. Holiday for ALL Provinces. Why do some get it off and not all? Not having the day to remember like the Ontario government employees get off (whom I know quite a few don't even go to the service - they go shopping - shame) sends me the message that our government does not care enough about our veterans to give all people the chance to go to the services and pay our respects (one minute of silence at our desks- if the employer remembers to give it- is a laugh). If ALL the people in Ontario can't have it off - then government employees should not have it off either. This topic of discussion keeps coming up by our government but no one will actually do anything- time to act.

Posted by Larry :

This is the dumbest comment I have seen in my entire life and it goes for the owner of this page and Jason. Obviously, you two have some misguided and misinformed views on the meaning of Remembrance Day!! It's not about you! It's not your families suffering during a long depressing winter. It's about the soldiers that fought and died for your freedoms to post your liberal views! Speaking of schools Jason. You should have stayed in longer so you could learn proper grammar. Thanks for allowing my post! "Recently we received a comment from Jason and would like to post it on this page because we think that Jason makes a very good point in his message: "Please DO NOT make Remembrance Day a statutory holiday in Ontario. Family Day is a much more appreciated break for families in the heart of the long cold depressing winter. Remembrance Day is better observered in a ceremony at your school, community centre or place of work.""

Posted by Dad:

I asked my 8 year old: would you learn anything about remembrance day if you stayed at home or would you probably just watch movies and play with your little brother? Her answer was: "No, I would just play and watch movies - at school at least I don't forget to talk about why we should try and not go to war anymore; well I can't forget because the teachers tell us all sorts of things and we have to listen."

Posted by afshin rabbani:

It's not fair, The Government employees has a good wage and safe job they are not work but other employees must work . If remember day is for respect to Canadian soldier has to be for all not a part of people .

Posted by Cheryl :

Yes my father and my grandfather both fought as Canadians in ww1 and ww2. It used to be a stat. And we used to have honor for those fought in the war. Now we work and shop. Stores should be closed and it should be aff with pay. I would like to teach my children and theirs to honor those who were forced to fight

Posted by Tina Wall:

I believe remembrance day should be a statuatory holiday because government businesses are closed. The people that died in the war for our freedom should be remembered. when people have to go to work, that 11th hour gets missed by millions of people because they are working. They deserve to be remembered, do they not?

Posted by Victoria Tremblay:

No. it should not be a stat holiday because then it diminishes the value we should place on it and just becomes another shopping day, or just loafing around. The school children should be in school learning about the true meaning of this day. Not at home playing video games.

Posted by Carole-Anne Armstrong:

Of all of the stat holidays, Remembrance day is the most meaningful because without knowledge of our past, we are in danger of repeating it. This is the lesson that history has to teach us. We should always honour those that risked their lives for our country, those that gave the ultimate sacrifice, and they came from EVERY province in Canada. War is simply not an option and without honouring and remembering those that sacrificed to maintain our freedom, we could be in jeopardy of losing it. Peace should never be taken for granted. We need to protect it and work hard for it, always. There are other stat holidays far less important (like Family Day for example, or even the Civic holiday in Aug). We should be unified as a country on this subject.

Posted by Nels Jacobson :

I totally believe that Remembrance Day should be a stat and I further believe we are not treating our vets properly. More resources and money should be used to let them live in dignity. It is an embarrassment of how Canadians treat our Vets. Case in point not enough money for Service Dogs for Vets suffering from ptst It is shameful. Not proud to be a Canadian.

Posted by J. Brewer:

I agee with the people that think that Armistice Day should be remembered in ALL provinces and territories in the Dominion of Canada.

Posted by Amelia:

Then why are some of us working and government workers not? Defeats all the arguments.

Posted by Therry Lauzon:

We most definitely need to make this a Stat holiday. The fact that we have choices on this day to attend a ceremony or spend time with family or catch up on life, represents all that was fought for...our freedom to do so. This is becoming an unimportant day and we need to fight to change this. We are taking our fallen soldiers and all the war casualties for granted in our haste to make money. It always comes down to money doesn't it?

Posted by John:

Remembrance Day should be observed right across Canada as a Statutory holiday. The war was fought by veterans from right across Canada and not just certain provinces!

Posted by Paul B:

My father was in the war my brother died in a war two of my uncles were in the war I cannot understand people who say it is a waste of time to celebrate that we have the freedom we have because of all of these people who were fighting for what we have now. Get your heads out of your backsides and think about what they have done for us so that we have the freedoms we have now.

Posted by Chris:

Remembrance Day should absolutely be a statutory holiday in all Canadian provinces. One day to reflect on what our war dead and wounded did for our freedom is the least we can do. I find it disrespectful that hundreds of people are waiting at the front doors of retail stores for 1:00. I’m sure you will all survive an extra day without the malls!

Posted by Denise Beauchamp:

Those men gave their lives for our freedom . They do not get them back. Their families do not get to say good bye. Many of them tourtured. Many of them died in stench in battlefields on foreign soil...agonizing deaths. I do not care how much time how many decades centuries go by ...soliders should never ever be forgotten and whatever measures necessary that need to be so that people do not forgot... I believe all stores should be closed all services but hospitals and there should be zero cars allowed on the roads except tanks and military vehicles. There has never been a war fought on Canadian soil ...canadians take for granted the peace that we have known our whole lives....this may not always be so....we need to be grateful and we need to remember and we need to learn from our mistakes. History tends to repeat itself. Humans need to pay attention observe learn and change and maybe one day there will be no more wars..but even then it won't hurt anyone to learn to respect and to remember.

Posted by margaret findlay:

Here in New Brunswick it is a statutory holiday. I live in Saint John and we have a huge service at our local hockey arena. It seat over 6,000 and there is seldom too many empty seats. People of all ages from babies to octogenarians and older attend every year. We respect our veterans. Our veterans have their own march past after all others and they do it each year to standing ovation.

Posted by Elaine Casselman:

Why should government and other corporations be off in Ontario on Remembrance Day but retail and restaurants stay open? Do you not realize our parents, grandparents and great grandparents also fought in the wars to give us a free country? Ontario is greedy for profit, never mind us low life who work in retail or service industry!

Posted by Mussie:

Remembrance day is for remembering those who sacrificed themselves for the sake of peace, stability ,protection and safty of the country and the people. They did not fight for specified group or province.therefore I suggest it should be concidered the same as canada day because Canada they passed for this country. Remembrance day is actually first of all the stat holidays and the base for freedom.

Posted by Lorinda C.:

I think Remembrance Day should NOT be a statutory holiday, as I am not convinced that most people would use the day to seriously remember the value of Armed Forces or the sacrifices that people have made. I suspect that with a day off, many people would be inclined to sleep in, take care of errands & otherwise innocently or carelessly ignore the purpose of the day. I find that there are more structured opportunities in schools and workplaces to have Remembrance Day ceremonies, watch the coverage, or have peace-building exercises. Perhaps it could be legislated that workplaces & schools be required to have a moment of silence at 11am with some kind of message (maybe that is already legislated?) AND be required to give employees the option of watching remembrance day coverage - either live at 11am or at another point in their shift (e.g. for workers in health care or emergency services or safety sensitive positions) if it is important to the conscience of the employee.

Posted by Mike Connolly :

It never made any sense to me why November 11th has never been a national holiday, or more like a national day of mourning. As I thought a very very long time ago, and as I still think today. It is something that is becoming just a passing thought for a lot of Canadians at this stage in the game. As I have read and heard in the media from veterans themselves, that comment such as, why should we bother with it it was so long ago. Even trying to get the day off work to go to a cenotaph is almost impossible. Some companies no longer take that one minute of Silence anymore. Children are in school on that day, and I wonder are they really getting the point that we are trying to teach them while in school. As opposed to going and seeing for themselves, and hearing the veterans. There are just so many reasons I can think of that this day should be a national statutory holiday. I'm not sure of the facts, but my guess would be the numbers are dwindling at cenotaphs around the nation. Not to mention the veterans themselves.

Posted by Cameron :

I believe Remeberance Day should be a statutory holiday. While I agree students should not get the day off school - I do appreciate the idea that students should attend their Remeberance Day ceremonies at their school - I believe working adults should have a holiday so they may attend ceremonies as well. As it stands, I will unfortunately not be able to attend any ceremonies as I will be working, which upsets me (especially since this year marks the 100th anniversary of the end of the Great War).

Posted by Bill S:

"If an organized observance was held at schools and workplaces people would be much more likely to spend time participating and keeping the importance of Remembrance Day top of mind, won't they?" Answer: NO. They will be more concerned about the order that has to be shipped, or deadline that has to be met, or the customer complaining on line 1. New comers to Canada, will ask "Why is this a stat day?" People will research and google to find out. It is not a celebration, but a commemoration of the ones that gave the ultimate sacrifice. It has since been expanded to include those that served and in doing so I think it loses its meaning.

Posted by AL:

TOTTALLY AGREE --- "we should spend more time preventing future atrocities and less time looking back: Let's use Remembrance Day as a reminder to all of us that for the remaining 364 days we need to focus our discussion and actions to ensure that future generations won't have to fight in wars at all."

Posted by Jinny Mari:

would it be celebrated on a monday? not on a sunday right? for a long weekend

Posted by James:

I am actually shocked that it is not a Stat Holiday in all Provinces and Territories. We have Family Day. Why would that be preferred over something as important as Remembrance Day?

Posted by Sandra:

Our veterans have sacrificed so much to ensure our freedom. They are our heroes. Remembrance Day should be a statutory holiday. It should also be observed in schools and with other ceremonies. I agree with the previous comment. If we forget the atrocities of the past, then history is bound to repeat itself.

Read featured posts