Reader comments about Remembrance Day

Send us your thoughts, comments and ideas about Remembrance Day in Canada. What should and should't be done on this day? How best to pay respect to current and past members of the armed forces?

Recent comments about Remembrance Day
Posted by shandra:

We should have Remembrance Day as a statuary holiday in all province,respecting the fallen soldiers who put their life to protect the people and country.

Posted by Erick Gelsinger:

As an ex member of the armed forces I had the pleasure of serving overseas, where in fact I participated in celebrations with other nations on remembrance day. We celebrated what many during the world wars gave freely of their lives to protect and uphold peace withing the world. The least we could do is once a year recognize their efforts and sacrifices through the recognition of a nationally recognized holiday. It is honestly amazing to visit Legions across the country and talking with older veterans about their efforts during the wold wars.. it would be sad when we as Canadians cannot appreciate the giving they gave to this country, in celebration for them a veterans day in my view is mandatory and the least we can do to keep their spirits alive.

Posted by Tricia :

I am a Canadian Vet and I do feel this should be a holiday for all Canadians. If not us Vets 🙏

Posted by James:

I don't see the relevance of a holiday for celebrating war, especially when we consider the roots and foundation with which this country is built. Very hypocritical in many ways.

Posted by Amanda:

I believe Ontario should have this as a stat holiday. Kids do learn more about this day in school, but they can learn leading up to the holiday. Canada needs more paid days off like other countries in the world. The time between Thanksgiving and Christmas is so long and is often the time people require breaks due to the busy time of year. Although, that is not a reason to make the stat remembrance day, because it then sounds like its an excuse. However, for those who are out of school, don't have family left who fought in the world wars, and do not listen to the radio, they often don't do anything celebratory either because the offices and workplaces do not acknowledge it. The day will then go un-noticed. If we had the day off, it would be an obvious reminder and would help to keep the memory/ honor live on.

Posted by lana gordon:

We need to put more focus on this day, remembering and respecting our fallen soldiers.

Posted by Optomistic:

I agree that if Remembrance day was a holiday it wouldn't be celebrated as it should be and kids learn more about that day in school then they do at home. However, I believe that those wanting this day to be a holiday, really just want another holiday added to the calendar. Most of the world has more paid holidays than in Canada. We are hardworking people and deserve some additional paid holidays to spend quality time with our families. Weekends are chewed up by house chores and kids activities, which for parents never seems they get time off. A holiday every month or every other month would likely decrease sick calls, and personal days taken by employees to just catch a breath.

Posted by Janet Lambert:

Remembrance Day should be a holiday for ALL of Canada. it seems crazy that government employees get the day off, and most provinces, but other provinces do not. lets get Canada in on all the same holidays throughout and be uniform. Family day should be the same. The people that are fighting this state that people would not recognize the day correctly. They would not like to have to work Christmas day!and everyone one knows that it is still recognized. so that point is mute. please make it a holiday for ALL!

Posted by Thomas bowset:

We should also have this as a stat holiday for the common population not just government, our brave men fought for all , not just those of a hiarch, , we the common man should have the pro ledge to celebrate their lives also

Posted by Phil MCcabe:

Really remembrance day should be a holiay not only to remember the fallen but to also celebrate the freedom they gave this good country we live in because I had family who fought in WW2 and my uncle spent his remembrance day with celebrating happiness and sadness we should make this day a national holiday.

Posted by Kathleen:

I think Rememberance Day should NOT be a stat holiday. When I was a child it was a big deal to celebrate and have 2 minutes of silence in school to remember our fallen. To me it left a much bigger impact than having a day off and sleeping in etc. I know also that anywhere I ever worked, did a Ceremony of sorts.

Posted by Sandra:

I think that November 11 should be a stat holiday. The next generation is already forgetting about why we stop at 11am it should be a time we spend with family be abel to go to these memorial events and honour those who fought and died for us. we need to put more focused on this day.

Posted by Ruth Wheeler:

At first I was outraged by Rememberance Day not being National (like here in the states) but after some thought and some of the comments, I've completely reversed my view. Almost no one down here "remembers" on either Veterans Day (11/11) OR Memorial Day - which congress even changed from 31 May to the last Monday of May so as to guarantee a 3-day start of summer long weekend party! Both are just disgusting holidays here now that have almost forgotten our military. I need to move north...

Posted by Howard McGregor:

Yes, definately Nov. 11th should be a stat holiday. Forget some of the other trash holidays like family day and pay tribute to the ones who made us free and have the lifestyle we have today. Put Xmas on hold till at least Dec. 15th, to much hoop la with this holiday.

Posted by Maria Silva :

I think Remembrance Day should be a stat holiday. Even if people consider it a day to sleep in, men and women fought and died for us to do so. Everything we have today from our jobs, to sleeping in, to our way of life, is because people fought for us. Religious holidays are just because the lawmakers of the time were Christian. If we allow holidays solely based on religious beliefs then we should certainly be allowing a holiday to recognize those who fought and died so we could even have those religious days. And let's not pretend that the genuine meaning behind those religious holidays have not been significantly dimmed by commercialism. There are kids who don't know why they are celebrating Christmas or who Jesus is. That's not to say that everyone has to be Christian and teach their kids to be the same. It means that if you're going to celebrate a religious holiday at least know what you're supposed to be celebrating. The war was real, the people in it were real. There's no belief involved. The fact that our society will focus on religion rather than something solid right in front of them is another post topic. But the fact that people left to fight for us and a lot never came back? That's real and that deserves recognition, a national holiday is a high form of recognition and our veterans deserve no less. It's terrifying to me imagining what our life would be like if the war was lost.And that's why our thanks and recognition as a nation are so important.

Posted by Nicole Byres, QC:

I believe that Remembrance Day should be a national (not selected provinces) statutory holiday. Of course some people will simply regard the day as another day off, however that does not mean commemoration of the meaning of/reason for the day will not also occur - whether that means a personal/private reflection time, or attending one of the public ceremonies. I grew up in BC where it was always a holiday. We learned about and first started to commemorate Remembrance Day in school - now in my late 50's I can still recite Dr. John McCrae's 'In Flanders Fields' by heart. Making November 11th a statutory holiday across Canada would be a good first step in recognizing the importance of remembering the sacrifices made during the wars; how well we then make use of the day and the opportunities it provides, is still (as always) up to us as teachers, parents, and citizens.

Posted by Lucy louro:

I think Remembrance Day should be a holiday cuz we could go to church and to services for our fallin troops just like good Friday not everyone is Christian and still it's a stat holiday just because some would just sleep in and do whatever like some say it doesn't mean all will and we could spend the day with loved ones and thanking our troops for making it possible to be free and enjoy this beautiful country and reflect on our possibilities !!!

Posted by Judy Meikle:

Remembrance Day should be a National holiday. Our military consists of men and women from across Canada and should be recognized for their contributions, as well as given a day to remember their fallen comrades. As military families we celebrate the freedoms our sons and daughters have fought for. Let's never forget the brave souls who have kept and continue to keep Canada safe.

Posted by Terry Lay:

I strongly believe that Remembrance Day should be a Statutory National Holiday since All Provinces sent soldiers to war, thus all should be honoured equally.

Posted by Shirley Sawyers:

This question should not have to be asked...., Remembrance Day definitely should be a holiday, like July 1st is in this country.

Posted by Mrs. Suzanne:

My husband is retired from a 30 year Air Force career and is now working for a private company in Ontario. However he doesn't get Remembrance Day off which I believe is a total disrespect for his contribution to this country. It should at the very least be a stat holiday for working retired military members.

Posted by Stuma:

I strongly believe it should be recognized as a statutory holiday - after all its a day we have established to remember those (brave ones) who gave their lives for the country.

Posted by Todd Noel:

Itís a disgrace that Remembrance Day is not a national holiday after what the meaning of this day stand for. Time for the Government to make this a a national holiday it respect to the people of sacrifice for all of us to give us our freedom.

Posted by Denise Giroux:

Yes it should be a statutory holiday in Ontario My grandfather fought in the WWI and I feel bad when November 11 Is not on the weekend and II canít attend the ceremony at the cenotaph. My grandfather seen his best friend get killed right beside him he witnessed horrible things while serving in the war. When he came back my grandmother said her husband came back but he was not the same man. Shame on this province not honouring these soldiers that made us a great and free country. This doesnít stop our schools from educating our kids about the sacrifice these soldiers made for us and our country.

Posted by Laura Bushby:

There is no question. We need to show respect for those who paid the ultimate price of their life and others who bear physical and psychological scars such as ptsd also known as post-traumatic stress disorder so that we could have the life and liberties that we are the beneficiaries of. May we never forget and may we never take our freedoms for granted.

Posted by Rick:

I see where Remembrance Day is a Stat holiday for federally regulated employees,does this mean that federally regulated employees in Ontario are entitled to the stat holiday?

Posted by Roberta:

YES! Remembrance Day should be a statutory holiday in every province. Not remembering and acknowledging those who have sacrificed in the past and those who are sacrificing today so all Canadians may enjoy the freedoms we do is egregious and disrespectful. Many provinces have Family Day - what greater family do Canadians have than the military who have always stood up and protected this country. Isn`t that what a family does?

Posted by Geri:

Remembrance is far more important to me than any other holiday. Without our victory in the second world war we would not be living the life that we do today in this country. I think it's disrespectful to have businesses open on Nov 11.

Posted by Laurie:

While I respect Jason's opinion I do not agree with it. Remembrance Day is a stat in both of the provinces I have lived in, Alberta and BC, and in both provinces we still hold ceremonies (and thus teaching) in the schools. It's just done ahead of November 11th. Not only that, the children in the elementary schools here on the Sunshine Coast actually make little gifts for the people who have served. It was a wonderful moment when these children handed what they had made over to my father, while he was still alive, who served in the Invasion of Normandy, First wave. There are many ways to keep the children involved in the ceremonies (bands playing, etc) and if everyone is in one place, around the cenotaph, it is so much easier. I also vehemently disagree with the comment about less time looking back. It is only through remembering, and honoring the very people who have given you that right and ability to choose, that you can move forward in a hopefully positive fashion. There are things that you can only learn to appreciate and understand fully with age. I can only hope that the Angry Preteen will be taught and educated in such a way that, with years will bring understanding.

Posted by Laurie:

Posted by Kyle Mayne :

Yes it should be a holiday if it wasn't for the vets we wouldn't have country.

Posted by Eugene Adamson:

Remembrance Day should not become a statutory holiday as it would then be treated the same as the rest of our holidays

Posted by Marsha:

Yes I think we should have a holiday for remembrance day itís only right the men and women that fought for our country die for our freedom it should be mandatory to show our respect for those who have fallen for us

Posted by C.Joan post:

Yes it should be a stat holiday to remember the fallen and serving military and mandatory for school going children to attend so they learn the sacrefices made by many

Posted by Jordan:

This is outrageous that rememberance day is not a holiday. Just think about it: we get a holiday on Christmas Day to celebrate the Christian holiday, and how we would not be be here if it werenít for Jesusí great sacrifice. Now who do we Canadians owe all of our individual lives too? Thatís right, to each and every brave soul that was lost fighting for our Country (RIP), and to each and every warrior that is still fighting for our country, and as well as each and every veteran that served our country. Look at the rest of the holidays in Canada; if there are any events worth taking real time off and participating in, then in my Canadian opinion, that is Rememberance Day.

Posted by John Armstrong:

Absolutely without a shadow of a doubt! My Father, and many others, died in the war for Canada and Us!! The least we could do is "officially" remember them!!

Posted by Mary-Ann Gibson:

I recommend Remembrance Day be designated a stat holiday across Canada, and that it be expanded to include honoring police services and firefighters for their service.

Posted by Natasha Landry:

I think it should absolutely be a stat holiday. Being afraid that some people spend the morning in their pyjamas is not a valid reason to not make it a stat holiday. After all these same people could stay in their PJs on Easter or Good Friday and not partake in the traditional ceremonies. But no one ever said we should not make Good Friday a stat holiday because of it. And this, despite the fact that not everyone is Christian. I am. But I was just using this as an example. IN the past I used to think that with most Veterans being dead that the Holiday was becoming a moot point *but that's when I was younger. With a new generation of soldiers fighting to protect Canada from terrorism and modern day threats and with a lot of young soldiers coming back with PTSD. Spending Remembrance Day working like any other day and not celebrating our heroes would be a grave injustice and a huge insult to our brave soldiers.

Posted by Rick:

I believe that Nov 11th should be a holiday, absolutely everything should shut down except for essential services. It should not be a paid Stat. The day has already been paid for by those who made the ultimate sacrifice. God bless those men and women who fought for our freedom, those men and women who died for our freedom, and those men and women who wear the uniform today and are willing to do what must be done to maintain our freedom. Don't forget to wear red on Fridays to show your support for the troops.

Posted by Irshad Mahmood:

To avoid discrimination with MB, ON, QC, NS provinces, it MUST be a National Holiday

Posted by Wayne:

At some point I changed my mind, I do not think it should be a stat holiday. If it was then you wonít get many more people involved in the services. At least being a work/school day means that kids have not choice but to observe it. I think more companies are allowing workers to take some of the day off to partake in the commemoration which is commendable, hopefully many more do. They would rather workers leave for an hour or two than leave for the day. If the government could mandate community involvement on that day then great, otherwise a stat holiday just says the family can stay in their PJs in the morning - which defeats the whole purpose.

Posted by larry Milman:

We are expressing gratitude for someone who gave their life/lives for us. Why is that different than Good Friday, or Remembrance Day?

Posted by Deryk Upton:

Fellow Canadians, I disagree with most comments I reviewed. I think there is a middle ground, that has not been advocated. It is a very unique day and thus should have an equally unique observance. Half day for those who attend the ceremonies, schools closed until post ceremonies,same for all non essential services and businesses, parents encouraged to introduce this part of our history to children, resist the temptation to treat yourself to a lazy morning and really and truly think about the desperate and horrible experience....so many endured, in all actions - on our behalf.

Posted by Natalie:

Remembrance Day is a misnomer in Alberta. As a teacher we, once again, pick up the slack and ensure students have a Remembrance Day ceremony at school on the last schoolday before Remembrance day, as the lion's share of students do not attend community services on Nov. 11...that way students can stay home and have a holiday...what a bastardization of what the day was intended for...we should be laboring as hard as possible to recognize the hard work and valiant efforts and sacrifices of our war veterans...instead we lounge around like the entitled miscreants we have become

Posted by Vicky Jones:

I strongly agree that Remembrance/Armistis Day be a Statutory Holiday Canada wide as a show of our deep respect to those men, women & families who sacrificed so much for all we have today! As a disabled member of Society, I encounter daily struggles & complications just trying to exist. I can only imagine what those men & women endured with the primitive medical care they would receive in the field. Also how much pain they suffered even without injury just trying to exist in extreme heat, freezing cold & pouring rain! Afghanistan,Iraq & Syria with their 40 degree heat, Vietnam with the swamps & all of the other natural disasters in different countries are all a testament to their internal fortitude & dedication! My grandfather was a Sgt in the 2nd war & my moms only brother a Sgt in Korea. Let's hope & pray this immature word war between Trump & Un doesn't bring us to a 3rd war!

Posted by Pierre Major:

All Canadians should be off on Novemeber 11,I don't know many people who go to church on Good Friday, so the argument saying that people would treat it as only a holiday, is ridiculous. When I hear that government employees, Banks,7 provinces and 2 territories receive it and the balance do not, its preposterous.You either treat all Canadians equally or you do not give it at all.

Posted by Ibrahim Khaldon Al-kawwaz:

I absolutely believe that this should be a stat holiday. We seem to forget those that fought for our freedom.

Posted by GERRY BARON:

if it wasn't for the veterans we will probably not have any of our holidays.they deserve more than some moments of silence

Posted by sandy granville:

Without a question this day should be a stat holiday all across Canada! These Vets fought for our country and our enlisted soldiers are still representing our country. I cannot believe this day is not acknowledged in every province!!

Posted by Mary Ellen:

It is very confusing Why some provinces , hopefully participate in Rembrance day events across those provinces. I live in Ontario, one of the province's not inclusive In the stat day. Each year if the date falls on a Monday to Friday, my traditional work days, I book a vacation day to attend the parade. And the cenetaph event, the back to the legion. To have a beer or a ginger ale with the veterans , that are still with us. My dad was a vet , and was very proud of it. I believe. It should be a stat day on the actual date , as that is when the events do happen.

Read featured posts