Reader comments about Remembrance Day

Send us your thoughts, comments and ideas about Remembrance Day in Canada. What should and should't be done on this day? How best to pay respect to current and past members of the armed forces?

Recent comments about Remembrance Day
Posted by Hilda Hardy:

I do NOT think Remembrance Day should be a Statutory Holiday. I believe it would lose it's meaning & significance. How likely is it that people would actually stop what they are doing to observe two minutes of silence at home? When you make an effort to do something, it is more meaningful to you. eg. The Royal York Hotel has a ceremony which is well attended by the working force of surrounding buildings, shoppers, pedestrians etc. ...and it is an extremely heartfelt occasion. I have seen construction sites blow a air horn, and every worker stop and reflect for two minutes. These people MADE THE EFFORT to stop what they were doing to remember. If this was a Statutory Holiday, how many people would actually turn off the TV, or whatever they were doing at home to observe two minutes of silence? They sacrificed their lives....the only sacrifice we are asked to make is two minutes of our time, out of our REGULAR day...not benefit by an extra Stat Holiday, which I predict would result in society slowly minimizing the significance of Remembrance Day. We would simple forget.

Posted by Deryl Henderson:

I cant believe this has not been dealt with yet. Of course Remembrance day should be a national statutory holiday in Canada. As the spouse of a veteran I am deeply hurt and offended that it is not. They represent and protect our country not individual provinces. How sad and disrespectful is it that we cant acknowledge this as a country.

Posted by Peter:

Get rid of all stat days. They are either religious or culturally based. With Canada increasingly becoming multi cultural, multi ethnic, multi religious, and none of these people can take the day off that suits them. Or none.

Posted by Dave R. Paquette:

My dad was in the forces and so was my grandfather. I for one regardless of it being a national holiday or not will take it off.

Posted by Myra Ladeza Moussa:

It is applauing that Remembrance Day is not a Statutory Holiday, a lot of soldiers fought & died on this day to make the world a better place, to have freedom & peace & for these reasons it should be honoured as a Statutory Holiday.

Posted by Jody Ethridge:

I firmly believe Nov 11 should be a national statutory holiday. Soldiers, Sailors and Aircrew deserve it.

Posted by Candace:

It actually disgusts me that Remembrance Day is not a holiday in all provinces throughout Canada, ESPECIALLY in Ontario, the province of our capital, Ottawa. I find it really disrespectful to our Veterans and all that they fought for. There's not much point in celebrating our Veterans by having parades or any other ceremonies if we can't attend them.

Posted by Michael A. Waite :

Albert William Waite PFC died March 25,1942 I am Michael Albert Waite it should be Remembered The Service to Canada !

Posted by Katherine:

I have had experiences working in customer service call centers where it is encouraged to take part in the 2 minutes of silence on Rememberance Day, however it is extremely difficult to make sure you are done your call in time, and knowing if you should take another call, not knowing how long the next call will take. I have sat on the phone while others around me were taking their moment of silence, and I was being screamed at by a lady who had no respect for the importance of that day, or any consideration that I wanted to pay my respects. I could have just told her I am partaking in a moment of silence, and that I was going to put her on hold, but then she can complain about me, and I didn't want to put my job at risk. Other's were stuck in calls as well and it was just a horrible feeling. I do not work in a call centre anymore, but those experiences will always be on my mind when I think of how lucky I am in my current position to be able to properly take this time as I know that not all people are so lucky.

Posted by Thomason:

I think it should be day off for all Canadians. What will be the meaning of it if people still go to work, kids go to schools , and other to the universities. Come on our government! Think on this.

Posted by John:

In Russia V-Day is celebrated on 9th of May and people take their kids and loved ones to war memorials to lay down flowers and pay their respects to fallen soldiers and civilians. It is a great tradition that bonds people together and makes them remember the atrocities and sacrifices of war. Because I have to work on Nov. 11, I cannot do the same and spend the whole day dedicated to Remembrance day. I would gladly go to a war memorial in the morning to pay my respects and then spent the rest of the day at various activities that Canadian government can organize

Posted by Eileen :

Remembrance Day should be a stat day of observance in "ALL" provinces. Schools in Nova Scotia hold events honouring our veterans leading up to November 11th. We have well attended events where so many young people attend. I throughly enjoy watching the events in Ottawa every year but am dismayed & annoyed to realize our grandchildren are in school that day.. .... our nation's capital. Shame on you! It has always been a tradition in our family to always watch an old war movie together that day as well. All schools in Canada should hold events in schools to teach children why we have Remembrance Day & students should be encouraged to partake in any event on Remembrance Day. It should also be mandatory for all children to write or talk about what they did on November 11th. If we don't keep this up with our young people today then who will remember? The stat day should not be called a "holiday" in my view but an "honouring" day! Offer students extra credits or points for attending & writing/talking about the purpose of Remembrance Day! We shall remember. ❤️

Posted by Ang D.:

I grew up in NL where Remembrance Day is a stat holiday. I always went to the wreath laying ceremony at my local war memorial. When I moved to ON, I was shocked to discovered it wasn't a holiday. I worked in a tech park. The only observance my company did was to make an office announcement at 11:11 and request a minute of silence. In later years, they streamed the national ceremony in the conference room and you were welcome to watch it on your own time. I now work downtown and my entire office bundles up and goes out to watch the ceremony at the national war memorial. I appreciate this way more. I wish every company gave employees an hour of the day to go to a local remembrance ceremony.

Posted by Cheryl:

My father volunteered just as he graduated from high school. He was with the RAF from age 18 (Aug 1939) until the end of the war (Sep 1945) and stationed for some of his service in Egypt. So just a boy when he joined and very much a man at the end of the war. Returning servicemen had a rough time finding gainful employment and certainly had to shelve any notions they may have had in terms of studies (my dad had planned to study medicine). if "Jason's" only worry is fun time with family on a wintry day, I would suggest he did not learn much at school or within his family unit about the sacrifices made by those who served and deserve to be honoured and remembered.

Posted by Tena Boivin:

Remembers day should be observed in all province. What is the matter with the others do they not remember the veterans who fought for there freedom

Posted by Joy:

Of Course it should! Some of these people gave their lives. Others whose lives were changed forever due to injuries and we can't take one day out of 365 to remember and honour them. Not to mention the sacrifices their families made. We need to take lessons from our neighbours to South who have Veterans and Memorial Day!!

Posted by Elizabeth Filipchuk:

I would like to see "Remembrance Day" as a Stat holiday. For me, it is a Day that I Rememeber my Father who fought in the 2nd World War. My Father fought in the 2nd World War and after the war he came to Canada. I feel fortunate that I have been in Canada since a child. On the day, I give Appreciation and Gratitude to my Father.

Posted by Fiona:

I believe it should be a stat holiday. The younger generations have to remember these fine soldiers fought and sacrificed so much for us. Parents would be able to take their children to some of the events so that they can learn and remember the dedication and love these men had for our country.

Posted by Shiara:

It should be. Parents will be able to bring their children to museums and other events. Also Canada has too away less statutory holidays than other countries.

Posted by Nadine:

I agree that Remembrance Day should no doubt be a Statutory Holiday. We honor birthdays and other celebrations, we should keep aside a day to pay tribute to our fallen soldiers and to all who have sacrificed for us. More so our children should learn what it is to pay honor and tribute and learn to respect the real meaning of remembrance day.

Posted by Ricardo Lyn:

Should remembrance day be a holiday absolutely but a day taken off amidst a month of veteran support all over the country like black history month in the states with a day off somewhere in the month....we performed too well and took too little praise on the world stage to have our small but terrifying heroes not worshipped. However I agree with the rcaf which is the reason I would like the month rather than a focused day.

Posted by Cheryl :

Remembrance Day should without a doubt be a Statutory Holiday. So many have and no doubt will die so we can enjoy our freedom. They paid the ultimate sacrifice for us so the least we can do is honour their memory by attending Remembrance Day ceremonies and teaching our children to be respectful and be thankful to all who have died for us.

Posted by Edison:

Absolutely.....this day has been a very emotional day for my family who had to grandfathers serving in the WWII. The only day in which we actually reflect and come together with other family members to honour their service as well as others.

Posted by Caroline Clarke:

Remembrance Day should definitely be a statuary holiday.

Posted by S Whiteside:

Remembrance Day should definitely be acknowledged nationally. If not for those who have fought for our safety and our rights we may not be here to celebrate any of the other national holidays.

Posted by Marina Fleming:

Millions of people were scarred for life either physically or emotionally and millions more lost their lives so that we could enjoy the freedom that we have today, my father being one of the wounded. We certainly should have a stat holiday to commemorate the sacrifices made by all of those brave young men. While the teacher makes a good point about the history lesson on that day in school, this is not a standardized by all teachers in all schools. This very important history lesson could and should be taught in all schools, all classes prior to the holiday, November 11th. Perhaps this might help today's young people to have more respect for the day and appreciate the sacrifices made on their behalf. LEST WE FORGET!

Posted by Anita:

Because the veterans have fought for us, Remembrance Day in Canada should be a stat holiday for everyone. It is a day of remembrance and to respect the soldiers who dies for us.

Posted by John:

So why can't we have both - Family Day and Remembrance? This site states it would be like having Thanksgiving Day "when most people cook a turkey and drink lots of beer." That could be said for all the other holidays. The point is, if one province has the day as a statutory holiday, we should ALL have it. You can always learn about it the day before in schools.

Posted by Mary Petrie:

As an primary teacher in elementary schools in Ontario for many years, staff taught the history of Canada's participation in the wars with activities appropriate to the age of the children but they all developed a level of understanding and empathy in preparation for Remembrance Day. We always had an assembly on Nov.11th with appropriate readings and poems by students, songs, bugle calls and representatives from the forces. The students participated fully in a vey solemn event and even the youngest kindergarten children would be still and attentive. Parents and neighbours attended. How many of those children would have been taken to a Cenotaph ceremony or so involved in it. I strongly support children being in school on Remembrance Day.

Posted by Jeff Benninger:

Do we forget that all these human beings lost there lives for us. Anybody that thinks family day is more important , needs to see a doctor. One lousy minute of silence is how we show are appreciation for all who died. Family day isn't even family with all the stores that are still open. Remembrance day should of always been a holiday , it's no wonder our vet's go to Europe , they truly appreciate what these men did for them , and we should do the same , but we don't. Shame on this Country and the people in this country that doesn't think this is an important day to show our appreciation for our war vet's. ONE LOUSY MINUTE P.S. It sure makes me want to fight for this country , I know I would be appreciated. NOT

Posted by Dixie:

I would like to go to the Remembrance Day service at the local cenotaph, but instead I'm at work where all we do is a get an email at 11 am with In Flanders Fields in it. I don't see how this is preferable. When my sister was on mat leave she took her baby to the local remembrance day service and this seemed a lot more respectful and appropriate to me than an email.

Posted by Greg :

It should be a holiday. It's up to parents to teach their children the respect and meaning of the day. I shouldn't have to take a day off of work to honour veterans when it should be a Stat, over family day!

Posted by Laura:

How can we celebrate Remembrance day each year when we have to work. All the government employees get to go down town to the festivities, but the rest of us are stuck at work. Great that the schools all do something, but do you think I remember 1 school activity now that I did 35 year ago to celebrate remembrance day...no! all it meant to us in school was that we didn't have to sit in a stuffy classroom for a few hours. It should be a stat holiday nation wide!

Posted by Christine:

When I was in elementary school, Remembrance Day was a Stat. Holiday. We treated as a holiday (i.e. not thinking about the reason for the holiday). Around the end of elementary school, it stopped being a Stat. Holiday. Instead, schools switched the day off school to February (pre-Family Day).The schools would hold an assembly at 11:00 on November 11 (or closet week day) to commemorate the significance of the day. I agree with Royal Cdn Legion that it should remain a non-stat holiday. Every company that I have work for has had a small service on Nov 11 at 11:00.

Posted by Candice:

Out of all the holidays Canada has, Rememberance Day should be a stat holiday across Canada period.

Posted by Coleen:

In Alberta the children get to have a service at their school. Then on the holiday they can attend other services that they would not had the chance to see if it were not a holiday

I live in Ontario and Remembrance Day is not a holiday. Due to it not being so, I went to school and learned a lot about what earlier generations fought for. There was always a ceremony to appreciate what the veterans had done for our country. We would hear actual stories about the war from actual veterans and even though I was young, they would bring me to tears. I respected the moment of silence and the ceremonies every year. If this was a holiday...I would have slept in, sat at home and watched mindless T.V. Don't make this a national holiday.

Posted by Sacha:

I think everyone should be able to attend the amazing services that are held for the men and women who have fought, and are still fighting for us. I think it is important for the children to see and hear the stories from the solders as well. Please make this a national holiday.

Posted by Anonymous::

I believe Remembrance Day should be a national legal holiday. If it was not for the sacrifice of brave men and women fighting for our freedom life in Canada could be very different, and not for the good. Think about it. Yes I see what others are saying about other days being stat holidays and shouldn't. Are we not saying that other religions no longer matter? Think about it. We really don't have a lot of stats. People will use their stats in the way they want. Some will have their moments of silence, some won't. Can't make a person remember. It's just a shame they don't. As for the children... Teach them the importance of Remembrance Day. That should be part of their jobs. Less We Forget.

Posted by Paul Brown:

Remembrance Day should be the ONLY mandatory and legal stat holiday in Canada. It is sad that all the other stat days have been obscured by consumerism and gluttony with little regard to the reasoning behind them (which honestly are mainly based on Christianity and we have become much more than an old world way of thinking country). Remembrance Day where I live brings out thousands of people to multiple places of memorial so it appears to have a strong backing of like minded individuals. Schools need to commit the week leading up to this day to educate the youth that over 100 years ago young men and women sacrificed their lives to give us the lives we live today. Anyone who thinks Family Day is more important is a selfish individual in my eyes.

In Nova Scotia ,schools are,in fact, closed on Nov 11th. So the argument of not making it a stat. holiday so that the kids will be in school at a service ......is ridiculous .

This is not right I don't care what any Canadian thinks I am a Canadian soldier ppcli my brother died from a IED in Afghanistan... If you don't stand behind us feel free to stand in front of us. All Canadians who fought and lost there life's as well as those who served and still serve is the most important day in the world. These man and woman gave there life's so people citizen like you can have a family day and live in peace can have a life can live free.

Posted by Tony of Rexdale:

We put on a good show on Rememberance Day, but isn't it time we stop talking and get the the job done by listening to the people of Canada and make Nov 11th a holiday for all of Canada not just Federal we all should hang our head in shame for not doing this already.these men and woman serves us well lets do the same for them maybe, if it's observed all across Canada more people would be off work to attend the ceremonies

Posted by Ron MacLeod:

In Nova Scotia you are encouraged to go to work and forget about and get a day elsewhere off. How much more encouragement to forget it do we need. I am shocked at this contradiction. As far a schools they close so makes no sense to have the law construed this way.

It should be a holiday and schools should focus on rememberance the week leading up to it. Children will better understand why we have Remembrance Day and better appreciate the 'freedom' of the day off. Soldiers fought for our freedom so we should be free on the day. When you only stand for a moment in a busy work day you will not be able to appreciate the sacrifices of the soldiers the same as a person who watch 6+ hours of war documentaries and movies on rememberance day (like I do).

Posted by McKelvey:

Should it be a stat? I don't know. But it should not be a holiday!! It's a National day of mourning. Personally, I have always taken this day off and taken my son to my local Legion so that he can lay his Great Grandda's wreath. My son never got to meet him and it's a point of pride with my boy, a connection to his Great Grandda.... I'm the proud Grandson of a FSSF Vet... I loved my Grandda, and know how he suffered after the War.... "Respect all that passed, but honour also, those that in daring to die..... survived...." Most consider me some kind of tough guy.... but I cry for two minutes on the 11th hour, of the 11th day, of the 11th month.... I and my son remember....... respect

Posted by jim ferren:

Remembrance Day should be a Federal statutory holiday in all of Canada.We must and future generations must always remember the men and women who fought for freedom of our country. Men and Women gave their lives so we and future generations could live in a free country and we must never forget. My father fought in World War Two. We owe these brave Men and Women one day a Year to say thankyou.

Remembrance Day should be observed by all of Canada on November 11th each year. This is the day on which the Armistice was established to stop WW1. We should never forget that. This should not become a "moveable holiday" to create convenient fun-filled long weekends. This was never meant as a day of celebration. It should be a somber day of respect & reflection. All across the country Canadians should observe a minute of silence on the 11th hour of this day.

Posted by Proud Mom and Daughter:

To "morkman", I also live in Nova Scotia and Remembrance Day is not a stat holiday here. Most institutions are closed, but that is not a requirement. Also, a federal stat holiday is a stat holiday for federal government employees so you should probably check the facts and educate yourself before posting. As the daughter of a WWII veteran and the parent of a young reservist, I believe this should be a stat holiday for everyone! All people should be able to attend services and not have to book vacation time (which I did) so I could attend the Halifax Grand Parade service. Happy to see so many people (young and old) attend this service.

Posted by Doug Ridgway:

It should be an national holiday, this day will never be forgot, we should have the right like other provinces in Canada to go too the memorials for that day. They us the excuse that this should be for kids to learn in school, the kids should go to the memorials and see the veterans live. They can learn is in school anytime, but nothing prepares kids better than being their live. I have all those nay Sayers stating that people with use that as a holiday well it should for people to remember what this country would like it was not for our fighting soldiers from world war 1. This day should be a national holiday no if ands or buts.

Read featured posts