Canadian Holidays in 2018 - Viewing All Comments

Send in your comments, tips and ideas about holidays in Canada for 2018

Comments
Posted by A.F.:

I wish people would show more respect for our veterans and not put up Christms displays until after Nov. 11 or at least not light them until after. There is such a big rush after Halloween that no one thinks of Nov. 11 as day to show respect. God bless all those who serve/served our country and their families.

Posted by Abe:

I believe we should pay more respect for the past and recent heroes on Rememberce Day. I feel like we are just to busy to do that.

Posted by D.T.:

My work almost always changes a stat holiday to a Monday if it falls on a Sunday. We are open Mondays-Saturdays, so if we close on Monday we get two days off, Sunday and Monday, but if the holiday falls on a Saturday, we just close for sure and get Saturday and Sunday off. The only exception to this rule was last year, and the beginning of this year, where Christmas Day and New Year's Day landed on a Sunday, which is already our day off. But we needed to be open on Christmas Eve day and New Year's Eve day because those can be our busiest days because we are a deli and bakery and do many catering and meat orders for the holidays. So, what my work did, since the Saturdays and Sundays were are most busiest days for the season, we were open on the 23rd and 24th of December, and closed the 25th and 26th of December to make up for the weekend days off. And, since we were open the 30th and 31st of December, we got January 1st and 2nd off to make up for those weekend days. So, we didn't get a long weekend or anything, we just got two days off as we normally would have on a holiday weekend, but it was in the middle of the week instead. And for Canada Day 2018, we'll be open the Saturday, and be closed the Sunday and Monday, so we're still only getting two days off, whereas most people get 3 days off for a long weekend and still complain about it. There are those of us who work every Saturday of the year, so don't complain when you only get two days off in a row, instead of three!

Posted by MW:

My issue with moving Canada Day to July 2 is when will all the celebrations take place? I now have to work on July 1st and have July 2nd off so no long weekend for me. If all celebrations are on the Sunday, people who have to work on Sunday and get Monday off will not be able to attend.

Posted by Jamie muller:

Rememberence day in Canada should be a holiday.

Posted by Josh:

They arent saying canada day is the 2nd. They have had to reallocate the holiday only superficially for payroll and avoiding time in lieu. Im pretty sure the celebration will still take place on the sunday the 1st. Everyone on here who attacks the thread with such conviction without real facts and uneducated opinions should really stop. Just from reading the first few comments ive seen nothing but complaints and negativity. Are we really canadian?

Posted by Ann:

Just wrong changing Canada day regardless of what day it falls on! Rediculious.

Posted by Melissa:

You're saying that Canada Day is July 2nd because the 1st falls on a Sunday. Canada Day IS July 1st regardless of what day of the week it falls on. It's like saying Christmas Day is going to be Dec 26 and boxing day Dec 27 if they happen to fall on weekends, not so. An employee still needs to be paid for the stat day even if it falls on a weekend so they aren't missing out on pay, just a day off and unfortunately, if you aren't a gov't employee, you may have to work it.

Posted by Emm:

Family Day is a Provincial Stat in ON introduced by the McGuinty administration, which means offices are open for business as usual for the Feds. Many just happen to use a vacation day off. If you don't believe me, call or visit your local passport office.

Posted by MG:

Government employees still get all the stats off, while hardworking Canadians still get shafted. I would like to see all Canadians get statutory holidays instead of just the government bums. And why is BC separate from the rest of Canada when it comes to Family Day? I have no idea why we get it a week beforehand when it's the same holiday; it really messed with individuals in the business sector as they still have to work on that holiday in BC as the rest of the country is open for trading during that day.

Posted by Ray McLaughlin:

It has been talked about for a while now that there would be a stat holiday every month. I believe that there should be. I also believe that Boxing day should be a stat holiday in every province of Canada. I know when I was growing up and in my 20's & 30's Boxing day was always a holiday.

Posted by Natalie:

You are saying that Canada Day is Monday, July 2nd, but on 2018 Canadian holiday calendar is still saying July 1st???

Posted by Jenny:

Isn't Civic holiday a holiday in all provinces except for Quebec, Newfoundland and Labrador, Ontario and Yukon?

Posted by Annonymous:

Canada Day is actually Monday, July 2, 2018 since July 1, 2018 falls on a Sunday

Posted by Lexi:

No stat in april or in june, how upsetting for me every year. I think boxing day should be a stat everywhere ;) I guess I will have to make my own days off in april and june.

Posted by susan:

2018 is going to be a great year the Olympics are back

Posted by anonymous:

2018 has a new holiday in New Brunswick, Family Day, which I don't see denoted here.

Posted by Annette:

The winter Olympics is in 2018!

Posted by Anon:

Manitoba has renamed the civic holiday to Terry Fox day since 2015.

Posted by Adrian Ward:

2018 is boring. No Olympics, no special celebrations like last year's 150, no solar eclipse, no election, no free national Park entry, no leap year, seems boring and plain.

Between New Years and Easter there is only family day. I always feel burnt out that time of the year but don't want to use vacation days because it's too cold and not much to do.

Posted by Admin:

The 2018 page is now live.

Back to the list of 2018 holidays